Every year we eagerly look forward to the arrival of Spring in Calgary. Although all the seasons have their bonuses, Spring is one of our Favorites and here is why…
The Color Returns and Wildlife Re-appears
Mother Nature wakes up from the winter hibernation. The grass begins to show itself – although mostly brown, it is a reminder of more colourful days ahead. The birds start to flock back to the city, and you can hear more and more of them singing as the days grow longer and brighter. We just can’t wait to get back outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery that nature has prepared. Don’t forget to grab your camera and capture the beauty all around.
Weather becomes more bearable
Gone are the days of layers, mittens, scarfs and bulky winter boots. There is no greater feeling then putting away the shovel and digging out the lawn mower for that first fresh cut in a short sleeve top. Although we recommend skipping the flip-flops for this one, we love changing our winter snow removal routine (which seemed never-ending this year) over to our Spring/Summer Property Maintenance Program duties.
“Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!” – Robin Williams
Spring Clean Up
Spring is a great time to refresh and clean up not just the yard but the home too. We love to take this time to purge the kid’s older toys, clothes, winter accessories and donate to local charities in and around Calgary. A good deep clean and airing out the house feel great after long winter hibernation. This is a great time to get organized for summer, so you can spend more time outside with family and friends. Check out our Spring Clean Up Checklist for some motivation and to get started.
Things to do in Calgary this Spring
There is always an abundance of things to do in Spring in and around Calgary. We always make time for a nice walk around the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. We also enjoy taking the dog to local dog parks in Calgary but are especially eager to take the kids to see the Pandas at the Calgary Zoo again in May.
Below is a list of other fun things to do in Calgary this Spring:
- Bringing the Farm to the City, Aggie Days invites guests to come and see real farm animals and learn where your food comes from!
- Calgary Stampeders Fanfest is held annually and serves as the unofficial kickoff to the football season. The day starts with a pancake breakfast and once the gates open, there are games on the field, the opportunity to interact with Stampeders players, alumni, coaches, Outriders and Ralph the Dog and get autographs.
- 19th annual FunnyFest Comedy does it all — From high brow to low brow and everything in between!
- The Calgary Ukrainian Festival provides citizens of Calgary with an informative, educational and entertaining festival that celebrates all aspects of our unique and rich Ukrainian heritage.
- Get a breath of fresh air and enjoy walk along one of the many trails in Calgary.
- Horse jumping, shopping, prairie dogs and fun activities for the kids at Spruce Meadows May Classic
- Family-friendly rides, high-energy entertainment, tempting treats and more at Calaway Park
- Most of the farmers’ markets are up and running by the end of May or early June
- Delight in sampling new flavours and old favourites as Canmore chefs tempt you with their creativity and inspire you with amazing food combinations.
- Yoga, meditation, and mindfulness will create a conscious connection to yoga, culture, and adventure in the heart of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.